About Bigstone Cree Nation and OPK School
The Bigstone Cree Nation Education Authority serves the members of Bigstone Cree Nation in Wabasca-Desmarais, Alberta with a variety of Education services. Our primary responsibility is the administration of Oski Pasikoniwew Kamik (OPK) that offers programming for students Pre K-Grade 9. The school has seen much growth over the past few years and student population is over 500. There are two Principals, one for the Elementary School and one for the Middle School. Our community has great amenities; a swimming pool, two fitness centers, a golf course, an arena, several grocery stores, RCMP station, hospital, bank, pharmacy and a number of eating establishments.
- We teach using the Alberta Curriculum, integrating our Cree Language, Culture and Traditions into the daily teachings.
- We have a Cree Language and Culture department offer programming support, curriculum/resource development, and operate our local cultural center where land-based teaching takes place.
- We are currently seeking a diverse and creative individuals that have the ability to create a class environment favorable to learning and personal growth; to establish effective rapport with students; to motivate students to develop skills, attitudes and knowledge needed to provide a good foundation for elementary and middle years education and establish good relationships with parents and other staff members.
- We work collaboratively with our local partners and outside service providers. There is a Student Services Department which includes a Literacy Lead, Student Services Coordinator, Family Support Workers, Wellness Coach and Counsellors, who work at the school. There are also consultants who offer specialized services such as a Physical Therapist, Speech-Language Assistant, Occupational Therapists, Registered Psychologist and Behavior Consultant.
- We have comparable or higher compensation for our employees as our neighboring public school systems and an excellent benefit package. For our professional teaching staff we also provide subsidized housing.